Special Needs Community CIC is the social enterprise that manages the Harrow parent carer forum called Harrow Parents 4 Disabled Children. The leadership team are all parents of children and young people with SEN & Disabilities. We are part of the National Network of Parent Carer Forums. We are proud to be part of an INFORMED, INSPIRED & EMPOWERED NETWORK ACROSS LONDON.
WE ARE A STRONG AND EXPERIENCED LEADERSHIP TEAM PASSIONATE ABOUT OUR SPECIAL NEEDS COMMUNITY
WHAT IS THE SEND LOCAL OFFER?
The SEND CODE of PRACTICE: 0-25 (Special educational needs and disability code of practice) Statutory guidance for organisations which work with and support children and young people who have special educational needs or disabilities (January 2015)
Section 4 states:
All Local authorities must publish a Local Offer, setting out in one place information about provision they expect to be available across education, health and social care for children and young people in their area who have SEN or are disabled, including those who do not have Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans. In setting out what they ‘expect to be available’, local authorities should include a provision which they believe will actually be available.
The Local Offer has two key purposes:
- To provide clear, comprehensive, accessible and up-to-date information about the available provision and how to access it, and
- To make provision more responsive to local needs and aspirations by directly involving disabled children and those with SEN and their parents, and disabled young people and those with SEN, and service providers in its development and review
What must be included in the Local Offer?
- Educational, health and care provision
- Training and apprenticeships
- Support available to children and young people to help them prepare for adulthood
- Information about how to seek an EHC needs assessment
- Information, advice and support
Our aim is to make it easier for all parents with a child and young person with SEN & Disability living in London to find their LOCAL OFFER and bring together all of London’s SEND provision in one place.
We also aim to have all of London’s SEN & Disability Play (facilities and Playgrounds) in one place with our sister site – click here
As an innovative organisation, we worked with our local authority to find creative ways to help our SEND community access to our Local Offer. We create a ‘bird’s eye view’ of the Harrow Local Offer with our Harrow Local Offer Services Map 2018. We want to work with other London boroughs and parent carer forums to develop effective ways access to their local offer.
Contact us for more information here: firstname.lastname@example.org